Sunday, January 25, 2009

Another week of new opportunities

I never could have imagined that my life would become so interesting. Just as my boys are becoming independent, I too have found a new sense of freedom. I like it. I don't feel chained and weighed down. I have so many opportunities and exciting projects that I can't even think of being bored. I think that boredom is actually lack of appreciation for what one has and an inability to utilize energy and creativity effectively. My kids complain of being bored while surrounded by countless games, toys, craft supplies, and game consoles. I tell them to use their imagination and to use what they have around themselves to challenge their intellect. During the week they are not allowed to play XBox (I hide the cord). They chose to play chess, oh joy ( I was so pleasantly surprised)! When reminded, they love to create projects with acrylic paint, clay, and odds & ends. I just need to nudge them in the right direction.

We saw Wall E for the first time this weekend. It was such a good movie, if you haven't seen it, get it. It is not a kids movie, rather a complete rip on humanities compulsive consumerism. It's Buy & Large Global Retailer is a good comparison to Walmart's control of the retail market. It illustrates how excessive trash from consumerism destroyed the Earth and how humans lived in space for 700 years while robots cleaned the mess. The humans became completely complicant, leaving all activity and human interaction behind . There was a lot of truth to what they tried to convey. An allegory of humanity crippled by excess. The ending is good, the robot love story is absolutely adorable.

2 comments: