Thursday, November 15, 2007

Random acts of kindness, sensless acts of beauty.

I always tell my kids that God works through people. People recognize the needs of others and offer help. We make choices to sometimes walk past, and look away rather than extend kindness.
I went to Borders this morning to get more books on yoga, and one for Alex's class project. The girl behind the counter was in training. She smiled and said "This is historic! You are my first customer!" She was genuinely excited and friendly! I smiled and congratulated her on her first sale. I carry a little Japanese note pad in my purse, it's tiny (2.5 x 2.5 inches) it has two different scenes of a smiling pig and (in Japanese and English) the words in small print "warm hearted piggie." I wrote a note "Happy First Day on the Job!" and gave it to her. She smiled and said "oh my gosh! You made my day!" and gave me the hugest smile, twice. She placed it on her computer/register and said "I'm keeping this here so I can see it all day!" I'm kind of dorky in that sense, I don't care if people think I'm weird, I know I am. I pride myself on my eccentricities and my humble ability to reach out and help others in whatever little way I can.

No comments: