Tuesday, November 27, 2007

Dinner

While not claiming to be a vegetarian, I don't really eat much meat. I cook (white)meat or fish with veggies and a starch, or vegetarian recipes (once a week) for dinner. I usually end up eating only a 3 ounce portion of meat at best. Last night I made baked potatoes, green beans and a big chunk of red meat. I'm still feeling pretty bad so I figured a heavy, fattening dinner was justifiable! I browned a 2 pound blade roast with olive oil, kosher salt and fresh cracked pepper. I put in the oven at 325 on convection roast for 1 1/2 hours, I flipped the meat once and put more salt and pepper on. It was so good, we couldn't stop eating it. The outside was almost crisp but the meat underneath was juicy and tender. No regrets and 3 tablespoons of sour cream on my spud later, I felt really good. Vic said he's sick of chicken, I agree. I think I'll pick up a leg of lamb soon. Tonight we're having Italian sasuage (with peppers and onions in it) with a salad, sauteed zucchini and yellow squash and rice pilaf on the side. My friend Ann and I went through the Barefoot Contessa cookbooks and chose 14 entrees and put together a "menu" to help plan shopping and cooking better. It worked well for a few weeks but I get bored and like new recipes for dinner so I have to expand my menus.

No comments: