Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Hummus Wrap Sandwich

Years ago at the Plymouth Coffee Bean, they served a Hummus Wrap sandwich. I used to get them all the time. I saw a similar recipe in the Gorgeously Green book and have been making them almost daily. The whole family loves them!

Heat a whole wheat tortilla in some olive oil, smear a good amount of hummus to cover the wrap. Smash in some avacado and a little olive oil. Layer on shreadded carrott, olives (if you like them), lettuce, tomatoes, and some feta cheese or not depending on your taste preference. Roll it up and really enjoy the veggie goodness!

I use homemade organic hummus as it doesn't contain preservatives. It s really easy to make and tastes so much better that the stuff in tubs. I soak and boil organic beans but if you are in a pinch, pick up a can of organic beans, they are good as well and nutritionally sound.

1 15 oz can garbanzo beans, drained
3T tahini (sesame seed paste in the Mediterranean food section)
juice of 1/2 lemon
salt
pepper
3 cloves garlic
1/3 c olive oil
you may need some water to make the consistency creamy.

Put all the ingredients in a food processor and whiz for a while, you can add in sun dried tomatoes ( I did today) roasted red pepper or scallions.

I made beet soup for myself as my family doesn't like beets. I had the organic beet tops (green leafy part) left over and usually toss them into the compost pile. While on Facebook, I saw that Sherri from TT sauteed them for a meal. I decided to try them. I added them to ricotta stuffed manicotti. They were really good! I washed them well and chopped them finely, added onion and sauteed them with olive oil. I mixed in ricotta cheese and put the mixture in my large piping bag and stuffed the pasta. I put a good layer of Muri Glen organic pasta sauce and some mozzarella cheese on top and into the oven they went. They disappeared pretty quickly, although Vic had to comment that the cheese was pink. I told him that it was the beet greens, he was like "You know I hate beets, not so much because of the taste but the color." My reply was " close your eyes and have a yoga meal."

I stopped into the Red Pepper Deli in Northville to pick up a menu to figure out what to try when I'm there. It smelled really good and the food looked awesome so I can't wait to try it! It is all organic and vegan. It should prove to be an interesting meal.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Such inspirational yumminess!
Makes me want to create food stuff.
Right now.

Reusable Sandwich Bags said...

One thing I only like for this "Hummus Wrap Sandwich " - it is indeed a unique recipe for sandwiches.