Monday, December 8, 2008

Vegan pumpkin muffins

I made these for my fellow yogis in training. I changed my original recipe to vegan choices. Our palets have been accustomed to low sugar foods for a while, so I barely use any sugar. An old friend told me that they needed more sugar, my response was "my kids eat them without it, so why should I add it in?" You may want to increase the amount of sugar to 1/2 c otherwise they may not taste good to you. Eventually if you reduce the sugar in your diet, you won't miss it. Yesterday I made these with a 1/3 c of brown rice syrup instead of sugar. They were moist and delicious.I use almost all organic ingredients, but these work fine with conventional foods as well.

Vegan Punpkin muffins:

preheat oven to 400 degrees

1/2 c oats pulverized in blender
1 1/2 c whole wheat flour
1/2 c ground flaxseed
1/2 c coconut
1/3 c sugar
2t baking powder (rumford brand)
1/2 t salt
8 prunes and 1 c almond milk and one avacado pulverized in blender
1/3 c oil (expeller pressed if possible) I use sunflower, safflower, olive or canola.
3 t cinnamon
1/2 t nutmeg
2 t vanilla
1 15 oz can pureed pumpkin- not pumpkin pie filling

Optional crumb topping to be sprinkled over tops before baking4 T smart balance spread 6T flour1/2 t cinnamon 3 T sugar. Mix until crumbly.Mix all wet in 1bowl, mix all dry in another. Dump dry into wet, mix until just blended. Line muffin tin with liners, add a scoop in each . Makes 24 muffin. Bake 400 for 20 to 25 minutes.

Enjoy!

No comments: