Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Flowers, yoga and soup

I went to Johnnie's class yesterday and I can still feel it today. That to me is the sign of a good class. I definitely could not do another one today. I did practice a mild slow flow and breath for a while. For the last few days, I have been busily planting the annuals and veggies that I got this weekend. I had a piece of vegetable lasagna from Nico and Vali for lunch today. It is so amazingly delicious, with tender pasta, the right amount of sauteed veggies and a perfect cream sauce. Nico and Vali is a small Italian eatery in Plymouth. Check them out for authentic Italian food that is fresh and Ala cart. Also try the almond cake, it is mouth watering. I chaperoned Garrett's class on a field trip to the Natural History Museum at U of M. We love this place and have been there at least 6 times, but this time we had a guided tour of the dinosaurs and got to touch fossils. My lunch was really late and I was famished, so I really enjoyed every bite. Great food makes me happy and I don't miss meat at all! I made a huge pot of vegan veggie soup and I have been eating it pretty much all day long for three days now.

The recipe is very easy, I use all organic ingredients

The night before soak one cup of organic dried beans in water, rinse once or twice

coarsely chop 1/2 pound of baby bella or crimini mushrooms and saute in Olive oil

add in :
1 onion diced
5 stalks celery diced
1/2 to 3/4 pound carrots diced
saute until soft
add in:
1/2 head of cabbage, sliced into fine shreds
6 cloves garlic
2 chopped tomatoes
1 28 oz can diced tomatoes with broth
1 6oz can tomato paste
add in pre soaked beans minus the soaking water
1 cup barley
enough water to cover everything with a few inches left over
simmer for while until the beans are tender

Now add some salt to taste and pepper, chop up a whole bunch of flat leaf parsley and throw it in. Enjoy!

No comments: