Saturday, August 1, 2009

vegan chicken?

I got a package of vegan chicken "cutlets" from Costco and made them for lunch. I thought I had the kids fooled, until Vic mentioned "is this fake chicken?" Thoughts of cubic zirconium (fake diamonds) and breast implants (fake cleavage) filled my head. How can chicken be fake? It is actually an impostor of sorts. It looked like chicken, even when cut but the problem was the texture and taste. Darn it! I think if I put it in a pasta dish or some other form of camouflage it would have worked. They got their flesh at dinner, so they were happy. I liked it anyway!

I made a huge vegetarian zucchini lasagna (recipe is on my new website) for Ash's farewell dinner and bought a pre-made one with meat in it for my carnivorous family members. A huge salad and great garlic bread made a simple dinner. My sister-in-law Maggie made these amazing mango cakes. They were a sponge cake filled with whipped cream and mango. Not too sweet and really yummy! I'm going to get the recipe. She learned how to make it at The Peninsula Hotel in Hong Kong. I think she took a class there. I miss their breakfast, it was so amazing!

No comments: