Sunday, October 28, 2007

Helpful websites

I've edited this entry to reflect the new list of helpful websites to the right.

I use the following rules, it makes shopping easy: Just try changing one product at a time. Eventually, when you run out of the old stuff and replace with different, healthy versions, you will begin to feel better.

No white flour (disguised as enriched flour)
No white sugar or sugar substitutes (look for fruit juice sweetened, or organic sugar)
No artificial flavors
No artificial colors
No preservatives
No partially-hydrogenated oil (look for expeller pressed oils)
No corn syrup or high fructose cornsyrup (I stand corrected, our bodies glycemic index skyrockets)

It may take an extra few minutes to read the labels, but once you find the healthy version of the foods you like, put them on your grocery list.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Regarding the statement about corn syrup and HFCS, although it might be a good thing to avoid because of it's high glycemic index your body most certainly can digest it. Very easily. As a matter of fact, too easily, which is part of the problem! Because it is so readily digested and absorbed into the bloodstream it quickly spikes blood sugar levels (hyperglycemia) which can trigger an increase in insulin production. Insulin allows the body to absorb glucose. Too much insulin at once can then result in dangerous drop in blood glucose levels. Basically if you don't want added sugar in your diet then rule this one out.

Anonymous said...

Could you give some examples of what you and/or your kids eat. I always feel like I am running out of ideas for healthy things to feed my family.

Yoga Trish said...

We eat lots of different things. I make almost everything. For snacks we have organic apple slices with peanut butter or sunbutter. Trail mix, pumpkin muffins (I'll post the recipe), cheese and crackers, fresh fruit, potato chips (I buy ones with expeller pressed oil) cheesy spinach bars (I'll post the recipe), granola bars, quesadillas, For dinner I make burritos with chicken or turkey, beans, veggies, cheese and salsa on top. Roasted pork loin with thyme dijon mustard marinade. Quiche, spaghetti, meatballs and mashed potatoes, chicken soup, hummus and pita, chicken breast with mushroom sauce over pasta, beef stew once in a while. Wholefoods website hasa link to a healthy pantry, this really helped me when I got started eating healthier. I'll post more when I think of them. Have a great day!!